Wednesday, October 21, 2009

RE: Snow on the Gore, DATE: August 27, 2006

Fall in Vail can be both lovely and torturous. The weather can be beautiful or miserable. The town becomes ghost-like and the locals refer to the heart of it as mud season. The following is an email I wrote to my dad at the very start of my first fall in Vail.

Dad:

It’s been in the air for a couple weeks now but today it happened. The seasons clicked. Labor Day might still be a week away but today marked the end of summer, the beginning of fall, and the promise that winter won't be far behind. I felt the colder air before I even got out of bed and it encouraged me to stay snuggled in the blankets long after my alarm went off. When I pushed the curtains aside and peeked out the window I saw the first dusting of snow on the Gore Range. The clouds were thick and low; they were grey and menacing.

The leaves are just starting to turn yellow and the autumnal equinox is still a month away. There will be days in the next few months when the sun shines and Valley residents savor the last flickers of summer. But that crisp feeling in the air today will linger until snow covers everything and it will remind us, like the snow on the Gore does today, that winter is never far behind us or in front of us.

Love, Tracey

No comments: